Thursday 19 July 2012

Warhammer - My Next Project

As any hobbiest will tell you, a wargamer’s thoughts are never far from his next project. It doesn’t necessarily mean you’ve lost interest in your current one, it’s just that Games Workshop have a tendency to keep passing shiny new models under our noses to tempt us and our wallets.
 
This is the reason I still have unpainted Eldar and Space Marines.
 
With the finish line in sight on my Space Wolves, my thoughts have turned to what’s next. Yes I want to get those Eldar and Space Marines finished and also get the last four Dreadfleet vessels done, but I can’t help thinking about something new.

The new Allies options available in the new edition of Warhammer 40,000 is a brilliant way into a new army – allowing you to paint up a couple of units and try them out with one of your existing forces.
Now, I’ve always fancied making a Sisters of Battle army. I love the whole nuns with guns thing they have going on. I do think, however, they haven’t been given the same level of care by Games Workshop as their more popular armies. This isn’t reflected in the models, of course. They have some brilliant ones, but their Codex update was just two issues of White Dwarf, not a proper book release. And their models are still metal, seemingly only available in blister packs from the GW website. No Finecast, no spanking new releases.
 
It’s because of this that I’ve changed my initial idea. Instead of building on the one unit of Battle Sisters and Saint Celestine I’ve painted, I’ve decided to use them as allies instead. Initially, I’ll be using them with my Ultramarines, but in the long term, I’d like to do a Grey Knights army with whom Celestine and co. will march into battle.

But, let’s not get ahead of ourselves. The Space Wolves aren’t finished yet and the Eldar have been pestering me to finish them for years. Keep an eye on my Geek’s Corner page for more pictures to be uploaded soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment